Learning Music - Scales and Chords Excel Spreadsheet

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Learning Music - Scales and Chords Excel Spreadsheet

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am in the process of learning to play piano properly thus I am learning music theory and techniques. Once such area of course are musical scales. On my journey of discovery, I discovered the attached Excel spreadsheet!

If you need to know what notes are in any of the scales in the Major scales, then download this spreadsheet!

To use, click on the drop down filter box in cell B3 and choose a scale. Choosing C for example will show the C Major scale!

Please feel free to discuss learning music theory, scales etc. in this thread!! Share you knowledge! Ask your questions!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mosespa

Re: Learning Music - Scales and Chords Excel Spreadsheet

Post by mosespa »

"The most important rule of music theory is the last rule you learn after you have learned all of the other rules...and that is that there ARE no rules."--some guy

Learning scales is a VERY good thing to do if you wish to learn how to play an instrument.

The best scale to learn first, IMO, is the Eminor pentatonic...because every scale I've learned since then (no matter what key it's in,) is basically Eminor pentatonic with different passing tones thrown in. :lol: :lol:
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Although scales are considered to be extremely boring, mundane and monotonous, they are very necessary for playing precisely. Not only will practice, practice and more practice give you an extensive knowledge of each note in each scale but it will also improve your muscle memory and rhythm.

Paul McCartney also set out, at one time, to learn music properly but he didn't have the patience to stick with it. Now he does what so many other people do when they write songs nowadays, he uses notation software on his computer that he can enter notes into with a MIDI keyboard. He composed the entire Standing Stone symphony that way.

No matter what you have at your disposal, there is nothing like learning music properly, so hang in there and don't give up. There will be rewards.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

bpmolder wrote:No matter what you have at your disposal, there is nothing like learning music properly, so hang in there and don't give up. There will be rewards.
Indeed, I have the facilities to make my computer write the notation out, but I wouldn't be able to do anything with it then! haha. I am wanting to improve my technique and knowledge of the keyboard so I can play more fluently... and push myself to play more classical music and things harder than simple arpeggios based around simple chords! It is my new hobby to keep me out of trouble!! 8)
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

Here is a pack for any jazzers that are interested in learning theory, it has 30 pdf files with valuable knowledge about chords, progressions, scales soloing etc.. a really good collection of lessons for the jazz performer (and anyone else who wants to expand their musical horizons)
I have more stuff somewhere just a matter of digging it up, anyway enjoy :)
http://download.yousendit.com/CE9DEB222374FD33
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I shall download that later when I get home from work. Thanks for sharing! 8)

If anyone else has things to share, then please do!! :D